Data Files + Documentation
Restricted-Use Data License
Researchers must obtain a restricted-use license to access restricted-use files. For more information, please go to https://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/licenses.asp. As an alternative, DataLab can be used to create tables and regressions.
- 2012–13 TFS and PFS Restricted-Use
- 2011–12 SASS Restricted-Use Data with Codebook (DVD)
- 2008-09 PFS Restricted-Use Data with Codebook (CD)
- 2007–08 SASS and 2008–09 TFS Restricted-Use Data with Codebook (CD)
- 2003–04 SASS and 2004–05 TFS Restricted-Use Data with Codebook (CD)
- 1999–2000 SASS and 2000–01 TFS Restricted-Use Data with Codebook (CD)
- 1987–88, 1990–91, & 1993–94 SASS and 1988–89, 1991–92, and 1994–95 TFS Restricted-Use Data with Codebook (CD) - Contact IESData.Security@ed.gov to request copies.
There are no public-use data files for the 2003–04 SASS, the 2004–05 TFS, the 2007–08 SASS, the 2008–09 TFS, the 2008–09 PFS, the 2011–12 SASS, the 2012–13 TFS, or the 2012–13 PFS.
Public-Use Data are available for download using the Online Codebook application. This application will ask you to identify the year and survey you want to work with. Next, you will be able to select the variables within the survey for download. After you have selected the variables in which you are interested, Online Codebook can create the programming code to use the data in many different statistical software applications. Click the Download option and indicate the software you want to work with (i.e. SPSS, SAS, S-Plus, Stata, or R). There are also options to download generic formats of the data (i.e., ASCII or CSV) for use with software other than those listed. To access the data through Online Codebook, click here.
Data for the following cycles of SASS are available in Online Codebook:
- 1999–2000, 2003–04, 2007–08, and 2011–12