Skip Navigation
Statistical Standards Program

Applying for a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

A Memorandum of Understanding is only for Federal government agencies needing access to restricted-use data. If you work for a college or university, a state or local governmental agency, a research firm, or an analytic consulting firm, then please do not send IES a signed MOU. You will need a Restricted-Use Data License.

The Principal Project Officer (PPO) is responsible for the day-to-day operations involving the requested data. In addition, each application must have the support of a Senior Official who has the authority to legally bind the Federal agency to the provisions of the Memorandum of Understanding by signature. Each application must have a Systems Security Officer to oversee the security of the data. You may designate up to seven professional/technical and support staff, including the PPO, who can have access to the restricted-use data.

Applicants must read the Restricted-use Data Procedures Manual prior to submitting the application. This manual specifies required procedures and details the security requirements.

To proceed with a request for a Memorandum of Understanding, the PPO must Submit a Formal Request. Once IES approves the Formal Request, then the PPO submits the following documents:

To complete your application, please mail:

    1. The signed Memorandum of Understanding,
    2. Notarized Affidavit(s) of Nondisclosure, and
    3. Certification and Accreditation (C&A) documentation

To the IES Data Security Office, at:

    IES Data Security Office
    Department of Education/IES/NCES
    550 12th Street, SW, Room 4055
    Washington, DC 20202


If approved, you will receive the following information: