Skip Navigation
Title: Students Who Study Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) in Postsecondary Education
Description: Using data from the 1995-96 Beginning Postsecondary Students Longitudinal Study (BPS:96/01), this Statistics in Brief focuses on undergraduates who enter STEM programs and examines their characteristics and postsecondary outcomes (persistence and degree completion) several years after beginning postsecondary education. Findings include:

  • Twenty-three percent of 199596 beginning postsecondary students had majored in a STEM field at some point between their initial enrollment in 199596 and about 6 years later, as of 2001.
  • STEM entrants generally did better than non-STEM entrants in terms of bachelor's degree attainment and overall persistence.
  • Among all STEM entrants between 199596 and 2001, some 53 percent persisted in a STEM field by either completing a degree in a STEM field or staying enrolled in a STEM field, and the remaining 47 percent left STEM fields by either switching to a non-STEM field or leaving postsecondary education without earning any credential.
Online Availability:
Cover Date: July 2009
Web Release: July 29, 2009
Publication #: NCES 2009161
Center/Program: NCES
Type of Product: Statistics in Brief
Survey/Program Areas: Beginning Postsecondary Students Longitudinal Study (BPS)
Career/Technical Education Statistics (CTE Statistics)
Education Longitudinal Study of 2002 (ELS)
National Postsecondary Student Aid Study (NPSAS)
Questions: For questions about the content of this Statistics in Brief, please contact the Webmaster.