Appendix C: Downloading Supplementary Resources
Resources are grouped according to the lesson to which they are most pertinent. Each entry consists of a resource title, a description of the resource, and, if the file is not on the Forum publications server, a link where it can be located. If any of the URL links has expired, work your way back to the root level of the URL by deleting the text after the last backslash (/) and hitting "enter." Continue to delete the last level of text until you reveal a useful page. It is possible that some links will have expired.
Part I: Foundational Data Improvement Lessons
What is a Culture of Quality Data?
- Building a Culture of Quality Data (51 KB)
- A PowerPoint presentation outlining the Forum Guide to Building A Culture of Quality Data.
- Forum Guide to Building a Culture of Quality Data (1,035 KB)
- Complete PDF of the Forum handbook, parts of which are read in this lesson and Assessing Your LEA's Data Quality. Includes tip sheets for each key player, listing each player's roles and responsibilities regarding data quality.
- Quality-Data Culture Concept Maps (29 KB)
- Zip file includes the following files:
- Quality-Data Culture Concept Map (a).doc
- Concept map of the Forum Guide to Building A Culture of Quality Data, in Microsoft Word format, with the hierarchy moving from left to right.
- Quality-Data Culture Concept Map (a).isf
- Concept map of the Forum Guide to Building A Culture of Quality Data, with the hierarchy moving from left to right, in the original Inspiration file.
- Quality-Data Culture Concept Map (b).doc
- Concept map of the Forum Guide to Building A Culture of Quality Data, in Microsoft Word format, with the hierarchy moving from top to bottom.
- Quality-Data Culture Concept Map (b).isf
- Concept map of the Forum Guide to Building A Culture of Quality Data, with the hierarchy moving from top to bottom, in the original Inspiration file.
- Quality-Data Culture Concept Map ppt (14 KB)
- A single PowerPoint slide that builds a concept map of the Forum Guide to Building A Culture of Quality Data.
Classifying Education Data
- Multiple Measures slide show ppt (21.2 KB)
- A PowerPoint presentation displaying Vicki Bernhardt's Multiple Measures of School Data Venn diagram.
Security and Confidentiality
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Regulations (869 KB)
- The regulations promulgated by the U.S. Department of Education to implement FERPA.
- FAQ on HIPAA and School Health
- A web site of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Check for a similar site in your own state.
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- The text of the Family Education Records and Privacy Act, broken down by issues.
- Forum Guide to Protecting the Privacy of Student Information: State and Local Education Agencies (2004) (700 KB)
- A handbook covering FERPA and other federal laws affecting information privacy in schools. Contains sample forms and notifications.
- Forum Guide to the Privacy of Student Information: A Resource for Schools (1,172 KB)
- A summary of FERPA rules and definitions for schools.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Civil Rights-HIPAA
- Links to a wide variety of information about HIPAA.
Part II: Data Steward/Coordinator Training
Data Steward/Coordinator Responsibilities
- Job Description Form.doc (4 KB)
- A blank and generic job description form.
Data Entry Issues
- Improving Data Quality for Title 1 Standards, Assessments, and Accountability Reporting. Guidelines for States, LEAs, and Schools (Non-Regulatory Guidance, April 2006) (206 KB)
- Addresses data quality issues associated with the annual Report Card required of all states, Local Education Agencies (LEAs), and schools receiving Title I, Part A funds under Sec. 1111(h) of No Child Left Behind.
Creating and Using a Data Dictionary
- EDEN Data Framework Handbook V4.0.doc (250 KB)
- A description of the conceptual model that is used to define the data requirements for the Education Data Exchange Network (EDEN).
- EDEN Data Set 06-07.pdf (170 KB)
- A highly technical document that contains a detailed description of all data groups and data categories proposed for collection through EDEN for school year 2006-2007.
- High-Priority Data Elements.doc (5 KB)
- Lists of data elements, organized by category, required of LEAs by state and federal governments and commonly used in making educational decisions.
- NCES Data Handbooks Online
- Guidance on consistency in data definitions and maintenance for education data, so that such data can be accurately aggregated and analyzed. Includes data elements for students, staff, and education institutions in a searchable web tool.
- Sample Data Dictionaries
- Various web sites illustrating the variety of ways a data dictionary can be designed.
- Writing Effective Data Definitions.doc (48 KB)
- Instructional content developed by the California Department of Education regarding issues related to development of a data dictionary.
Developing a Data Calendar
- Sample Data Calendars (64 KB)
- Zip file includes the following files:
- Sample Data Calendar.doc
- Example of an LEA data calendar, with no indication of related activities.
- Sample Data Calendar color.doc
- Example of an LEA data calendar, with related activities indicated by colored text.
- Sample Data Calendar ordered.doc
- Example of an LEA data calendar, with related activities grouped consecutively.
- Sample Data Calendar shaded.doc
- Example of an LEA data calendar, with related activities indicated by shading of rows.
- Sample Gantt.pdf (103 KB)
- A generic Gantt chart.
- Sample Gantts from calendar.doc (40 KB)
- Two Gantt charts describing two of the processes in the Sample Data Calendar.
Types of Data Errors
- Bad Data (22 KB)
- An Excel file of 25 student records containing examples of typical data errors.
- Bad Data Answer Key (22 KB)
- An Excel file describing, for those records with errors, what the errors are.