Grantee State - Washington
2015 Grant Application
Washington State P20W Research and Data Explosion
Start Date: 10/1/2015
End Date: 9/30/2019
Project Director: Jim Schmidt
Amount Awarded: $6,992,452
Project Abstract 127 KB
- College and Career
- ERDC (Education Research and Data Center) will carry out a variety of analysis and research activities involving (1) studying outcomes for juvenile justice participants; (2) incorporating financial aid data; (3) studying P20W transitions; (4) expanding existing data coaching activities to include P20W; (5) expanding existing P20W feedback reports.
- Evaluation and Research
- ERDC will (1) conduct analysis and research of educational and workforce outcomes involving early learning participants and social service clients; (2) evaluate interventions at low-income K12 schools; (3) perform a cross-cutting data gap analysis
Back to Grantee States
2009-ARRA Grant Application
Washington State Plan for a PK-20 Statewide Longitudinal Education Data Systems (SLEDS)
Start Date: 7/1/2010
End Date: 5/31/2014
Project Director: James Schmidt
Amount Awarded: $17,341,871
Project Application 14.7 MB
Project Abstract 132 KB
- Establish data governance agreements outlining when, how, and what data can be shared to generate a clear process that will accelerate the ability to share linked individual-level data while also protecting individuals’ privacy.
- Create research and reporting products to inform policy decisions through briefs, local level reports that track student outcomes and achievements, and research data sets. Improve the timeliness of the information produced and usability of the data.
- Efficiently generate research datasets and summary information and to help ensure data quality by constructing of a structured P-20 data environment, which will include a data inventory spanning systems, the development of a P-20 data dictionary, and the implementation of a data warehouse with a variety of data marts designed to support research and reporting.
- Establish interoperability to facilitate the efficient and standardized exchange of data between ESP-20 and contributing data systems.
- Improve the quality of data coming in to ESP-20 and strengthen systems that contribute data to ESP-20 by enhancing the community and technical college data system, the higher education program database, early learning student information, and private vocational school information.
Back to Grantee States
2009 Grant Application
Washington State Longitudinal Data System Project
Start Date: 6/1/2009
End Date: 5/31/2015
Project Director: Curtis Richardson
Amount Awarded: $5,941,887
Project Application 3.5 MB
Project Abstract 95 KB
- To develop a governance model and to enhance data quality and stewardship from data entry through reporting.
- Form and support new and existing governance bodies that will develop standards and provide leadership for projects and decision-making.
- Create a training and certification program for all levels of staff using the data system to ensure data quality.
- To implement an infrastructure encompassing all K-12 business areas which will facilitate communication and efficiency within the agency and with primary stakeholders.
- Analyze technical needs to establish a plan for the infrastructure development.
- Identify and restructure data silos and minimize redundancy to increase data quality.
- Implement a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) to increase business and data interoperability.
- Develop a proof of concept system which tests the feasibility of implementing Schools Interoperability Framework (SIF) technology at the state level.
- Adopt national and international data element standards to increase data interoperability with external stakeholders.
- To develop tools which will enhance data driven decision-making at all system levels.
- Create automated reports, dashboards, and interactive query tools.
- Build student information portal applications with business rules and edits to assure data quality for educators to support teaching and increase student learning.
- Develop an educator information portal to manage certification and professional development information.
- Add SAT and ACT scores to the assessment database.
- Establish a metadata repository to increase application development, analysis, and reporting flexibility.
- Construct a data management system for districts with limited available resources for a commercial Student Information System products.
- To incorporate external education partner organization membership into the proposed K-12 governance system.
- Add representatives from pre-K and post-secondary organizations to data governance bodies.
- To extend the statewide, longitudinal data system to external systems with infrastructure components that meets technical requirements and standards while protecting individual student privacy.
- Establish a method to track students through the state pre-K and post-secondary education system.
- To develop and implement data sharing agreements with external organizations for sharing appropriate student data.
Back to Grantee States
WDQI Grant Application
Project Application 218 KB