- Violent Deaths
- Nonfatal Student and Teacher Victimization
- School Environment
- Violent and Other Criminal Incidents at Public Schools, and Those Reported to the Police
- Discipline Problems Reported by Public Schools
- Students’ Reports of Gangs at School
- Students’ Reports of Being Called Hate-Related Words and Seeing Hate-Related Grafitti
- Bullying at School and Electronic Bullying
- Teachers’ Reports on School Conditions
- Fights, Weapons, and Illegal Substances
- Fear and Avoidance
- Discipline, Safety, and Security Measures
- Postsecondary Campus Safety and Security
- Appendix A: Technical Notes
- Appendix B: Glossary of Terms
The authors are grateful to the sponsoring agencies, the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) and the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), for supporting this report.
From BJS, we wish to thank Allen Beck, Jeri Mulrow, Doris James, Edrienne Su, and Jill Thomas, who served as reviewers, and Erika Harrell, who verified data from the National Crime Victimization Survey. Outside of NCES and BJS, Nancy Brener, Mark Anderson, Jeffrey Hall, and Kristin Holland of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention generously provided data and performed a review of data documentation. We also value the review of this report and the continued support provided by the Office of Safe and Healthy Students.
The authors would like to thank the many individuals who completed the survey instruments that make this report possible. This report would not have been possible without their cooperation.