- Surveys & Programs
- National Assessments
- International Assessments
- Early Childhood
- Elementary/ Secondary
- Data Systems, Use, & Privacy
- Data & Tools
- Downloads Microdata/Raw Data
- Online Analysis
- School and College Search
- Comparison Tools
- Questionnaire Tools
- Other Tools
- Fast Facts
- News & Events
- Publications & Products
- About Us
Grantee State - Arkansas
2009-ARRA Grant Application
Arkansas Department of Education's SLDS Improvement and Modernization Project
Start Date: 7/1/2010
End Date: 12/31/2013
Project Director: James Boardman
Amount Awarded: $9,832,689
Project Application 24.6 MB
Project Abstract 137 KB
- Accelerate Arkansas' current work on data driven decision making (DDDM), policy research agendas, and teacher evaluation
- Expand and enhance cross-agency data sharing
- Restructure Arkansas Department of Education’s (ADE) SLDS technical and data architecture
2009 Grant Application
Arkansas Department Of Educationís Statewide Longitudinal Data System Enhancement Project
Start Date: 5/2/2009
End Date: 6/30/2013
Project Director: James Boardman
Amount Awarded: $4,967,991
Project Application 11.0 MB
Project Abstract 103 KB
- Enhance SLDS Tools Set:
- Implement a comprehensive visually oriented performance management environment using dashboards, Visual analytics and scorecard techniques, using Cognos 8 visualization tools, supplemented by a targeted ADE open source initiative for visual analytics for student performance data.
- Expand currently implemented Triand application components to extend target testing and curriculum development features statewide, implement the Triand Parent Portal, and expand the Triand ID generation system to all educational staff.
- Augment SLDS Data Resources:
- Integrate key data collection related to higher education, teacher licensure, teacher professional development, special education, and child nutrition into the LDS.
- Integrate locally-collected assessment data sets into the SLDS.
- Build Culture of DDDM:
- Extend the current CREST and MC3 Pilot effort by engaging the AR Leadership Institute, Ar. Regional Cooperatives, The University of Central Arkansas, and others to adopt DDDM focus and align their professional development programs and curriculum to advance best practices in the use of longitudinal data for DDDM throughout the state.
- Develop and deliver augmented and improved instructor-led and computer based training modules to better facilitate the use of Triand and Cognos toolsets.
- Formalize specific agreements with the research community to undertake targeted research using the SLDS on issues of critical concern to state educators.
- Share data across agencies and use results to support DDDM:
- Negotiate and coordinate agreements with appropriate research entities and educational authorities to ensure appropriate research and dissemination of results from data matches with higher education institutions, workforce, and human services.
- Ensure quality of data:
- Complete the population of the web-based data dictionary and extend and enhance this environment.
- Formalize and implement the state's program of data quality measurements and commission data quality audits.
- Use visual dashboards to drive data quality issues and error conditions to their source for continuous versus periodic review and correction.
- Strengthen, Complete and Extend Other Components of the SLDS environment:
- Establish an expanded and comprehensive documents, standards, policies and procedures that document/regulate significant aspects of the SLDS environment that are appropriate to both end-users and technical staff.
- Complete the full automation of EdFacts reporting.
- Re-implement Arkansas public "AS-IS" website and link it to the Cognos data warehouse.
- Modify the Cognos data warehouse to allow for on-line district certification, thereby eliminating the current SIS environment.
- Develop a web-based portal for collaboration between ADE, data stewards and data administrative staff in the schools and districts.
2006 Grant Application
Arkansas Department of Education Longitudinal Data System Project
Start Date: 12/1/2005
End Date: 11/30/2008
Amount Awarded: $3,328,503
Project Application 14.1 MB
Project Abstract 108 KB
- Commitment of a unique student identifier strategy.
- Creation of an enterprise-wide data architecture that includes a data model, data dictionary, business rules, and quality assurance procedures.
- Construction and implementation of an integrated data warehouse consisting of a set of coordinated subject-oriented data marts within the context of the Cognos Education Performance Management Solution (EPMS).
- Filling gaps in or redeveloping existing operational systems.
- Design, construction and implementation of a web-based repository of student K-20 transcripts and methods for electronic exchange of transcripts across districts and between states and between K-12 and institutions of higher education.
- Development of a Business Intelligence tool set that delivers analytic views—reports, tables, charts or graphs, and spreadsheets that will allow consumers to gain access to the information they need.
- An Information Distribution and Training Program that ensures that data resources and their uses are made widely known and are used to their fullest potential. This will include a comprehensive training program for data consumers at all levels.
- Development of a comprehensive data quality assurance program, including provision of extensive system testing.
- Establishment of methods for documenting and disseminating lessons learned and best practices with educational leaders, researchers and the community at large.
WDQI Grant Application
Project Application 1.3 MB