Women’s History Month
What data do you have on the learning experiences of female students throughout their education careers and the characteristics of female teachers and faculty?
- In 2019, a larger percentage of U.S. female 12th graders (51 percent) than male 12th graders (42 percent) reported that they were somewhat or more likely to pursue a career in science (source).
- In 2017–18, women made up 89 percent of public school teachers at the elementary level, 72 percent at the middle school level, and 60 percent at the high school level (source).
- In 2018–19, female students earned 82 percent of master’s degrees conferred in health professions and related programs (source).
Faculty and Institutions
- In fall 2019, women made up half (50 percent) of all faculty members at degree-granting postsecondary institutions (source and source).
SOURCE: National Center for Education Statistics. (2022). Research Roundup: NCES Celebrates Women’s History Month. U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved August 9, 2022, from https://nces.ed.gov/blogs/nces/post/research-roundup-nces-celebrates-women-s-history-month.
Related Tables and Figures: (Listed by Release Date)
- 2022, Condition of Education 2022, Undergraduate Enrollment
- 2022, Digest of Education Statistics 2020, Table 316.20. Average salary of full-time instructional faculty on 9-month contracts in degree-granting postsecondary institutions, by academic rank, sex, and control and level of institution: Selected years, 1999–2000 through 2020–21
- 2022, Digest of Education Statistics 2021, Table 204.50. Children 3 to 21 years old served under Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Part B, by age group and sex, race/ethnicity, and type of disability: 2020–21
- 2022, Digest of Education Statistics 2021, Table 219.73. Percentage of high school dropouts among persons 16 to 24 years old (status dropout rate) and number and percentage distribution of 16- to 24-year-olds, by selected characteristics: Selected years, 2010 through 2020
- 2022, Digest of Education Statistics 2021, Table 303.30. Total fall enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions, by level and control of institution, attendance status, and sex of student: Selected years, 1970 through 2030
- 2021, Digest of Education Statistics 2020, Table 209.23. Number and percentage distribution of teachers in public elementary and secondary schools, by race/ethnicity and selected teacher and school characteristics: 2017–18
- 2021, Digest of Education Statistics 2020, Table 211.10. Average total income, base salary, and other sources of school and nonschool income for full-time teachers in public and private elementary and secondary schools, by selected characteristics: 2017–18
- 2021, Digest of Education Statistics 2020, Table 318.10. Degrees conferred by postsecondary institutions, by level of degree and sex of student: Selected years, 1869–70 through 2029–30
Other Resources: (Listed by Release Date)
- 2022, International Activities Program (IAP): This page provides information about the education of women and girls across the world.
- 2022, National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP): This site provides access to publications and data on the reading, mathematics, science, writing, U.S. history, civics, geography, and arts achievement of U.S. 4th-, 8th-, and 12th-grade students.