The first PIAAC survey is being implemented under the supervision of an international consortium. The consortium is responsible for:
- Project management, survey operations, preparation of data products and support for the analysis of the survey results.
- Development of the instruments for the field test and the direct assessment.
- Development of the background questionnaire and the finalization of the Job Requirement Approach (JRA).
Members of the consortium include representatives from Educational Testing Service (ETS), Westat, cApStAn, The Research Centre for Education and the Labor Market (ROA), gesis-ZUMA Centre for Survey Research, German Institute for International Education Research (DIPF), and the Data Processing Centre of the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA). In addition to these organizations, PIAAC is aided by numerous national contracting partners. The consortium and its partner organizations each have specialized roles in the development and implementation of PIAAC:
- Educational Testing Service (ETS) – responsible for the development of instruments for the direct assessment and project management.
- Westat – responsible for sampling and field procedure, as well as technical and quality standard design.
- cApStAn – responsible for translation processes.
- The Research Centre for Education and the Labor Market (ROA) and gesis-ZUMA Centre for Survey Research – responsible for development of the background questionnaire.
- German Institute for International Education Research (DIPF) – responsible for development of an integrated computer system for background questionnaire and assessment items.
- Data Processing Centre of the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA) – responsible for data management and quality control procedures.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) – oversees design and implementation procedures for OECD and non-OECD participants
- In the United States, NCES conducts the PIAAC field test and main assessment, with support from Westat and the Education Statistics Services Institute (ESSI).