The first round of PIAAC was implemented under the supervision of an international
consortium, which continues to implement additional rounds of PIAAC. The consortium
is responsible for:
- Project management, survey operations, preparation of data products and support
for the analysis of the survey results.
- Development of the instruments for the field test and the direct assessment.
- Development of the background questionnaire and the finalization of the Job Requirement
Members of the consortium include representatives from Educational Testing Service
(ETS), Westat, cApStAn, The Research Centre for Education and the Labor Market (ROA),
gesis-ZUMA Centre for Survey Research, German Institute for International Education
Research (DIPF), and the Data Processing Centre of the International Association
for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA-DPC). In addition to these organizations,
PIAAC is aided by numerous national contracting partners. The consortium and its
partner organizations each have specialized roles in the development and implementation
- Educational Testing Service (ETS) – responsible for the development of instruments
for the direct assessment and project management.
- Westat – responsible for sampling and field procedure, as well as technical and
quality standard design.
- cApStAn – responsible for translation processes.
- The Research Centre for Education and the Labor Market (ROA) and gesis-ZUMA Centre
for Survey Research – responsible for development of the background questionnaire.
- German Institute for International Education Research (DIPF) – responsible for development
of an integrated computer system for background questionnaire and assessment items.
- Data Processing Centre of the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational
Achievement (IEA-DPC) – responsible for data management and quality control procedures.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) – oversees design and
implementation procedures for OECD and non-OECD participants
In the United States, NCES has conducted the PIAAC survey, with support from Westat
and the American Institutes for Research (AIR).