High School Longitudinal Study of 2009 (HSLS:09) Features
- Nationally representative, longitudinal study of 23,000+ 9th graders from 944 schools in 2009
- Students followed throughout secondary and postsecondary years
- Surveys of students, their parents, math and science teachers, school administrators, and school counselors
- A new student assessment in algebraic skills, reasoning, and problem solving for 9th and 11th grades
- 10 state representative datasets
- What are students' trajectories from the beginning of high school into postsecondary education, the workforce, and beyond?
- What majors and careers do students decide to pursue when, why, and how?
- How do students choose science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) courses, majors, and careers?
HSLS:09 Data Collection Waves
- Base Year (2009) – Available now
- First Follow-up (2012) – Available now
- 2013 Update (2013) – In collection now
- High School Transcripts (2013-2014) – Will begin this fall
- Second Follow-up – Planned for 2016
NCES releases online HSLS training modules! Click here to view.
New First Follow-up data are now available! Public-use data are available for download here or find out how to apply for a restricted-use license here.
The First Look report from the First Follow-up data collection (2012) has been released. View this report here.
Data files and documentation for the First Follow-up collection are nearing release this fall. Sign up for NewsFlash to receive an alert as soon as new data become available!
Data files and documentation for the First Follow-up are currently being developed. Expect release of data in late 2013.
Data collection for the first follow-up is currently underway!
Data and Documentation
NEW! The HSLS:09 Base Year Public-Use Data File is now available for download from the EDAT or at the "Data and Documentation" link on the left menu.