What are the correlates of cognitive growth over time?
(a) Student Issues
- What are the trajectories of cognitive growth over time for different groups of students?
- How do course taking patterns relate to different rates of cognitive growth?
- At what levels of proficiency do students score in reading and mathematics?
- Which background factors are associated with higher achievement?
- What is the role of student involvement/academic and extracurricular engagement in predicting cognitive growth?
- What is the influence of language proficiency and use on tested achievement?
(b) Parental/Family Issues
- Which background factors and family variables are associated with higher achievement?
- What is the role of parental involvement in student achievement and other outcomes?
(c) School and Teacher Issues
- How is teacher quality related to achievement gains over time?
- How are school-level characteristics related to cognitive growth?
- How well are high schools preparing students for higher education and the world of work?