Skip Navigation
small NCES header image

Obtaining a Restricted-use License

What are "restricted-use" data? Federal agencies collect survey data containing individually identifiable information that are confidential and protected by law. This information is not publicly released.

Due to NCES confidentiality legislation, you must obtain a license to order to receive ELS restricted-use data. Once the license is approved, you will receive the data.

You can learn more about applying for a license and start the application process here.

Answers to some questions about applying for a restricted-use license are here.

Return to the ELS homepage.

Would you like to help us improve our products and website by taking a short survey?

YES, I would like to take the survey


No Thanks

The survey consists of a few short questions and takes less than one minute to complete.