- Household membership and characteristics; demographic characteristics; and labor force participation.
- Basic annual school enrollment for preschool, elementary, secondary, and postsecondary students; and educational background information needed to produce dropout estimates on an annual basis.
Computer Use (1984, 1989, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, and 2003):
- Availability of computer at school, home, and work; reasons for and frequency of computer use at school, home, and work; availability and use of Internet at school, home, and work.
Private School Tuition (1979, 1985, 1988, 1991, 1994, and 1997):
- Type of private school and amount of private school tuition.
Selected Education Characteristics (1992, 1995, 1999, and 2003):
- Grade retention; language spoken at home; English proficiency; disability status; and whether ever attended school in the United States (1995 only). In 1999, information was collected on grade retention for persons ages 15–18; language spoken at home, and disability status for persons who have repeated grades.