Available Data and Related Products
ELS:2002 has recently switched from mailing a CD-ROM with the ELS data on it to an online downloading tool, called EDAT, to provide users access to Public-use data files.
Click on the “EDAT” link above to access EDAT.
EDAT’s advantages over the CD-ROM for Public-use data:
- EDAT does everything the CD-ROM version did, plus it includes all the Base Year (2002), First Follow-up (2004), Second Follow-up (2006), and Third Follow-up (2012) Public-use ELS data that are available.
- EDAT allows you to download syntax files for more programming languages, for more flexibility of analysis.
- EDAT includes 100+ composite variables.
Important Information About ELS:2002 Data
- How do you figure out whether you need Public-use or Restricted-use data?
- It depends on your variables of interest!
- A spreadsheet for comparing the variables included in all of the ELS Restricted- and Public-use data files can be found here: ELS Variable List (800 KB)
- Restricted-use Data can only be obtained by CD-ROM, after obtaining a Restricted-use license
- After the license is awarded, the requested data file(s) are mailed to the license holder by express mail.
- How long does this process generally take? Typically, 3 weeks, provided there is no problem with your license paperwork.
- Don’t worry if your project changes: Licenses can be amended to obtain additional ELS Restricted-use data or Restricted-use data from other NCES surveys.
- You only need to obtain one ELS data file, because each one includes all prior follow-ups
- For example, the Public-use EDAT data file includes all data collected in the Base Year, First Follow-up, Second Follow-up, as well as the Third Follow-up.
Summary of all available ELS:2002 data:
|ELS:2002 Base Year to Third Follow-up Data Availability
||High school transcripts
||Released as separate file
ELS:2002 Data on CD-ROM, with Electronic Code Book (Restricted-Use)
- These data are available only in the form of an Electronic Codebook (ECB), a Windows application that must be installed on your computer. This ECB performs essentially the same variable selection and analysis file generation functions as the EDAT application.
- Step 1: Obtain a Restricted-use license for the Restricted-use data file: ELS:2002 Base Year to Second Follow-up Restricted-use data (NCES 2014-362).
- Step 2: Once a license is granted, the requested data are sent by express mail to the licensee by an IES Security Officer.
Other special purpose ELS:2002 Restricted-use data files that can be obtained by license amendment once a license is granted are:
- Census data: a data file of residential census tract and block information for ELS:2002 Base Year
- Test Item Database: a database containing the item parameters and sample member item scores for all ELS:2002 tests items
- Barron’s Competitiveness: a data file of the Barron’s Competiveness Index for all colleges applied to or attended by an ELS:2002 Second Follow-up sample member.