Part II. The Forum Code of Data Ethics
The following key principles of ethical conduct related to education data were
identified by the Data Ethics Task Force of the National Forum on Education
Statistics (the Forum). While this list encompasses a wide range of ethical
considerations and scenarios, it cannot represent every ethical issue that educators and
the education data community will face.
THE FORUM CODE OF DATA ETHICS
- Demonstrate honesty, integrity, and professionalism at all times.
- Appreciate that, while data may represent attributes of real
people, they do not describe the whole person.
- Be aware of applicable statutes, regulations, practices, and
ethical standards governing data collection and reporting.
- Report information accurately and without bias.
- Be accountable, and hold others accountable, for ethical use
- Promote data quality by adhering to best practices and
- Provide all relevant data, definitions, and documentation to
promote comprehensive understanding and accurate analysis
when releasing information.
- Treat data systems as valuable organizational assets.
- Safeguard sensitive data to guarantee privacy and confidentiality.