+ Executive Summary
+ Children's Reading and Mathematics Achievement in Kindergarten and First Grade
Organization of the Report
This report uses data from the ECLS-K to address the following:
- What reading and mathematics knowledge and skills do children demonstrate in the spring of first grade? Do children's knowledge and skills differ by certain child, family, and school characteristics?
- What is the relationship between children's early literacy, approach to learning, and general health status as they enter kindergarten and their spring kindergarten and first grade reading and mathematics achievement? In particular, how do the following relate to children's spring kindergarten and spring first grade achievement:
- proficiency in recognizing letters,
- being read to at least three times a week,
- proficiency in recognizing numbers and basic shapes,
- proficiency in the mathematical concept of relative size,
- demonstrating a positive approach to learning often or very often, and
- reported to be in very good to excellent general health?