NAEP - Average Reading Scale Scores in Relation to the NAEP Achievement Levels, by Degree of Reading Accuracy
Average reading scale scores in relation to the NAEP achievement levels, by degree of reading accuracy, grade 4: 2002
- The average score for participating students with at least 98 percent accuracy (237) fell close to the Proficient achievement-level cut score (238).
- The average score for students reading between 95 and 97 percent accuracy (226) was within the Basic achievement-level range.
- Those students who read with between 90 and 94 percent accuracy had an average score (206) that was not significantly different from the Basic achievement-level cut score.
- Those who read with less than 90 percent accuracy had an average score (180) that fell 28 points below the Basic achievement level cut score (208).
- The greater the number of oral reading errors made by students in the study, the lower their average scores on the comprehension assessment.
Return to Oral Reading Study Results.
Return to NAEP Special Studies.
Last updated 01 November 2005 (FW)