SEA Liaison Responsibilities
The State Education Agency (SEA) liaison is appointed by the Chief State School Officer and is expected to speak on his or her behalf on issues of education data policy. A state liaison has several important responsibilities.
- The SEA Liaison shall act as representative in the coordination of Federal data collections at the state level and in other matters concerning the Cooperative System.
- The SEA Liaison shall attend two annual meetings of the National Forum on Education Statistics and participate in the annual NCES Data Conference and in the Management Information Systems (MIS) Conference.
- The SEA shall designate coordinators for data collection and assessment activities under the Common Core of Data (CCD) and National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP).
- The SEA shall provide every single data item requested on the CCD surveys within the established NCES timelines.
- The SEA shall provide data requested by the Performance Based Data Management Initiative within the established US Department of Education timelines.
- The SEA liaison will serve as the contact for Basic Participation Awards granted under the Cooperative System contract.
- Under the Cooperative System Basic Participation Award, SEA liaisons shall oversee the submission of the following to NCES:
- A list of SEA survey coordinators;
- An attendance plan for Forum, MIS and Data Conference meetings; and
- A list of participants at Forum, MIS and Data Conference meetings from the SEA.
For more information about SEA responsibilities, visit the Forum New Members' Page.
For all questions related to the Cooperative System Basic Participation Awards, contact Renee Rowland.
Publications of the National Forum on Education Statistics do not undergo the formal review required for products of the National Center for Education Statistics. The information and opinions published here are the product of the National Forum on Education Statistics and do not necessarily represent the policy or views of the U.S. Department of Education or the National Center for Education Statistics.